Wednesday

Project Dollhouse part 1

In continuing with A Dollhouse for Sophia, I will offer Project Dollhouse updates from now until Christmas.


I have been shopping on Etsy.com, as well as a more widely known auction site, and have been really surprised at the cost of dollhouse furnishings. I was already planning on making much of the furniture, but because Sophia is so young, most typical dollhouse materials are unsuitable. I was hoping to find better selections of gently used plastic and "toddler safe" furniture. It's out there, just much pricier than I expected.

Check back, later I'll add some links here of the best sites I found for dollhouse furniture for young children.

Meanwhile, the McBurger joint in town was out of Lego superhero toys and gave our son a doll from the Wizard of Oz. My son surprised me when instead of being disappointed he happily announced "He's gonna live in the house!"

Dominic, my 5 year old, has been playing with the little people and furniture we have in the "all-white" primed house. With his help we've been selecting which rooms will be which.

I used regular interior latex flat wall paint that I found in the crawl space leftover from the last tenants. There is still plenty left for touch ups in the little and for the real house. Since the first base coat, I have applied a few touchups. I used some wood putty to "mask" some areas in the "attic", then painted over that once it was dry.
I plan on using acrylic "craft" paints to finish the interior. I am also getting materials together to start building little furniture. Keep reading Project Dollhouse for updates and more pictures on our progress.

Dominic wants to "put a B I G bow on the house for Christmas!" I'm can't believe how much fun I'm having making this gift with him. Dominic, Sophia, & Simon should all get a lot of play out of this.

1 comments:

Heather Leavers October 22, 2008 at 12:52 AM  

You are going to have such fun with this dolls house..in fact I can tell you already are!

This is totally unsuitable - but when I wass little I used to collect horse chestnuts to make chairs. I'd stick pins in for legs and the back and wind wool round and round to "upholster" the backs!

A health-and-safety nightmare!


My Etsy.com Store

My Etsy.com Store
Original Art, Prints, & Photography

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

NeoCounter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP