Sunday

Lumbee's in my Lineage

I remember being told by my grandmother, Dorothy, that my brother and I shouldn't forget we are native americans. But until very recently, I had never heard the name "Lumbee" before.

See last week's post, "Who are the Lumbee?" for informational links about the Lumbee Tribe.

On the left is my grandmother, Dorothy, in her uniform during World War II. She was a marine in Hawaii. She was one of very few female veterans of this war. Above, is her mother, Gertrude Charlotte Webster Oxendine. Dorothy was my father's mother. She was an incredible person, and has been a great inspiration to me.

Dorothy's father, here on the right, was Lacy Oxendine, a Lumbee Tribe member. I will be posting more about the family and the Oxendine Cough Elixir. I have a great desire to collect more artifacts of the old apothecary shop, "Dot's", named after my young grandmother. I would also love to get my hands on any Oxendine Cough Elixir bottles, printed adds, or promotional materials. I know there are lots of other antique collectors out there, so remember me if you ever stumble across any of that stuff.

As always, I love to read your comments and messages.

1 comments:

Sunny Bower Art Studio October 17, 2008 at 1:12 AM  

My great grandmother told my mother that she was part Native American. I enjoyed reading this post! Thanks for sharing.


My Etsy.com Store

My Etsy.com Store
Original Art, Prints, & Photography

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

NeoCounter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP